RE: db corruption

From: Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens_at_admworld.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:30:42 -0500

i've had rman tell me blocks were corrupt before. i waited a few days to do anything about it because it was in a non critical tablespace in a development datbase. The problem silently went away. I opened a tar with oracle to find out what happened. The response I got from oracle support was that the block was probably empty and once data was inserted into it, the corruption was fixed.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sweetser, Joe Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:31 AM
To: gogala_at_sbcglobal.net; joseph.armstrong-champ_at_tufts.edu Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: db corruption

Definitely second Mladen's recommendation. A quick & dirty way to find possible suspect tables (assuming Oracle knows what it wants to do with logging/nologging in its' own tables) is something like this. You may want to add/change excluded schemas based on the options you have installed.

hth,

-joe

select owner||'.'||table_name from dba_tables

where logging <> 'YES' (*** or logging = 'NO' ***)

and owner not in ('SYS', 'SYSTEM', 'DBSNMP', 'WKSYS', 'OLAPSYS', 'WMSYS', 'MDSYS', 'BIBCAT') order by owner, table_name;