RE: db corruption

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:53:58 -0400

Something I've noticed lately, in two different databases now:

Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6, Solaris Sparc, raw volumes, served up from an EMC DMX, via VxVM.

Rman reports corruption. It says the block is all zeroes. Alert log shows that it tried to read the block, tried to read the mirror, same error. Actual block dump indicates the block is in fact all zeroes. The block is *always* the last block in the datafile, and doesn't contain any data. So, I set corruption count to 1, backup the datafile, restore it, recover it, and RMan formats/fixes the block on restore. I've had one database where this occurred once. I've had another where this happened to 60-70 datafiles. Exact same type of corruption, always the last block in the datafile.

Anyone else ever seen this?

AdvThanksAnce,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

Ours is the age that is proud of machines that can think and suspicious
of men who try to.  --H. Mumford Jones, 1892-1980