Re: Index Maintenance for DW environment

From: <tboss_at_bossconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:39:45 -0400 (EDT)

It might be time for you to completely re-think your data load strategy.

I've got a DW with very "wide" tables (150+ columns, most of them indexed). Individual inserts to the tables take 30+ seconds and I've got to load 2M rows at a time. Dropping and creating 150 indexes on a 250M row table takes weeks, not hours. So we've got the same conundrum you do. (In fact, you've probably got a second issue related to gathering statistics about the same table; as it grows your stats jobs grow in length too, unless you're jamming in fake stats with dbms_stats jobs).

Solution: partition your fact table and turn all your indexes into local indexes instead of global (bitmap preferable for doing star transformations and bitmap merge joins) Then do your data loads into a table off to the side of the exact same structure (minus the partitioning clause) as your main fact table. Create indexes, gather stats on the side table (with a smaller data set, even a 2M row table should be able to finish indexes and stats within minutes), then add a new empty partition to the fact table and alter table fact_table exchange partition new_partition with side_table.

The actual alter table command takes only a few seconds, and immediately all your indexes are updated and active, your partition stats are collected and you've done it all with little to no downtime. If you're in 9i, we ran into a bug that required a hidden parameter to be set (_minimal_stats_aggregation=FALSE) in order for the stats to exchange properly. Otherwise, as long as the tables are exactly the same structure, have exactly the same indexes created, same constraints, same null/non-null definition, the alter table exchange partition process works great.

hope this helps, todd