Re: can RMAN restore from zip file

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:03:08 -0400

On 08/10/2006 10:32:06 AM, dba1 mcc wrote:

> 1. does "gzip" will hurt RMAN backup data or not?

The "gzip" and other Lempel-Zev compression programs are known as "lossless compression". They do not lose data. Whatever is that you gzip will be exactly the same when you gunzip it. For as long as you don't turn your backup into an MP3, MPEG or AVI file, you'll be just fine.

> 2. if I "gunzip" RMAN backup, can it restore without
> ANY problem?

Yes, it can restore it without a problem, but be aware that gunzip takes time. You are, essentially, trading your disk space for your CPU power. In my opinion, writing the backup to an offline media like tape or DVD would be much smarter, as CPU power is usually more expensive then the disk space. Speaking of writing to DVD, there are rumors of blue ray units, capable of writing 50GB? Has anybody here seen or heard anything like that?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com