Re: osh/oraenv for users w/ low file size limit - not for scripts?

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:49:00 +0200

> Is osh (and by extension oraenv for users with low
> file size limit) not meant to be used in scripts?

Yes, I think it's supposed to be run interactively (MetaLink Note:1883.1).

<quote>
  OSH (Oracle shell)

The osh program is included in the Oracle distribution and is run when the oraenv (or coraenv) script is run in the Bourne shell (or C shell). Therefore, if all DBA users (that is users that have the ability to start the Oracle database) have a call to this script in their .profile (or .login), you will not experience the error described above. The osh program raises the ulimit to the maximum (about 1/2 gigs), and execs over the current shell. It has the suid bit set and is owned by root, so it has the permission to raise the ulimit. Any process started ***from this shell*** will inherit the large ulimit and will be able to write to the largest files that Unix can handle. </quote>

Dimitre