osh/oraenv for users w/ low file size limit – not for scripts?

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:30:20 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for the trivial question, but I realized today that I don’t understand how osh (kicked off from oraenv) supposed to work with scripts for users with low file size limit.

Running oraenv (that fires osh) works like a charm interactively, bumping up the ulimit (as osh is owned by root and has the suid bit set). If oraenv appears at the beginning of a script however, since it runs “exec osh”, it replaces the current shell (without forking off a child process and no longer returning control to the parent shell) so the rest of the script doesn’t execute.

Is osh (and by extension oraenv for users with low file size limit) not meant to be used in scripts?

As in:

test1.sh (script template):

echo "before " $$
ulimit
. ./test2.sh
echo "after " $$ # how to get to this line
                 # with increased ulimit?
ulimit

test2.sh (simplified oraenv)

exec osh (or even simply sh)