RE: CBO problem

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:38:58 -0000

You have to read Note:212809.1 Limitations of the Oracle Cost Based Optimizer and notes on bind variable peeking and notes on histograms. Apart of bugs there are some fundamental problems in optimization business, in short:

-Bind variables basically eliminate histograms.  Bind variable peeking is just a plain guess.
-Histograms do not always represent accurate data distribution.
-In many cases multi column predicate cardinalities is just a plain guess.