RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:02:30 -0000

 Yes, CBO can produce better plans. Specially were indexed access is impossible. Then one has to go into full scans and here CBO is pretty good. But OLTP is about "online". OLTP SQL is programmed (well, has to be programmed) to be "online". Here I can not think of much else than simple nested loops. Well, may be small lookup tables can be hash-joined, something like that. If, however, OLTP relies on a full scan of fast growing table then this is a bad practices design, so frequent in those days.