Re: Batch process resource estimation?

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:29:43 -0500

Alex,

I think this is a classic computer science puzzle. How to estimate the resources consumed by a program without executing it. Cary Millsap may even address this issue in his book.

   When configuring a new site, often you are in the unenviable position of having to guesstimate the size of server to purchase and an early stage. This doesn't meant these are very reliable. The ERP vendors like Oracle Applications usually have developed some rules of thumb, for a payroll of X number of employees you need a machine of Y capacity. And usually there is a cushion so you err on the side of a slightly larger server than is needed.

   Usually most of us develop a rough idea how many resources a process will consume with experience, but I think that is the best you'll do. Now, just watch someone respond and prove me wrong.

Dennis