Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:18:25 -0500

It is not my intent to start a snowball of ramblings opinions about various CSOs, researchers, the "State of Software Development" or anything else along that line. But reading the many opinions expressed on Slashdot, CNET and even the CSO's own article (http://news.com.com/When+security+researchers+become+the+problem/2010-1 071_3-5807074.html?tag=nl). Instead, I was wondering if folks still really like working with Oracle products, despite the bugs, despite Metalinks (referring to the recent threads here), despite the security holes. I got the impression for "OakTable Insights" that those guys really love their job, and they have been doing it for quite some time. I consider myself an intermediate DBA, and while I really enjoy learning new things, the politics surrounding the software really get under my skin.

I am assuming that a vast majority of you enjoy being a DBA and the challenges associated with that. How much of that enjoyment is strictly from Oracle (because of the robust features, ingenious and vast user community, etc)?

charles schultz
oracle dba
aits - adsd
university of illinois