Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 00:09:33 +1000

Schultz, Charles wrote,on my timestamp of 30/05/2006 11:18 PM:

> security researcher, security holes, security fixes, security patches
> Reference:
> http://news.com.com/Oracle+exec+hits+out+at+patch+mentality/2100-7355_3-
> 6077349.html?tag=nl

Typical. They should really look at themselves instead of trying to offload the blame to the dbas out there: oldest trick in the book. About time it got rubbed into their faces that they are where they are BECAUSE of said dbas, not because of their competence!

> I am assuming that a vast majority of you enjoy being a DBA and the
> challenges associated with that. How much of that enjoyment is strictly
> from Oracle (because of the robust features, ingenious and vast user
> community, etc)?

I do enjoy being a dba. I do NOT enjoy being an unpaid tester for the buggy rubbish Oracle has been fostering on us for the last 8 years or so.

And being forced to upgrade - at MY cost, in terms of setup, parallel runs, testing, disruption of development and production - just because Oracle development "cannot afford to backport bug fixes"!

How come IBM can? How come EVERY other database maker out there can? Ah yes: Larry needs a new boat. So we can get stuffed. And of course: it's all the dba's fault!

And I enjoy it even less when my complaints are dropped in the general bucket of "disgruntled user". Darn right I'm one! Only so much I can take of unending rubbish by successive "generations" of technical and support management without a clue on how to run the place. Metalink included.

If there was a real alternative for what we do I'd be using it like a shot, stuff Larry and his crazy management!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto