RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:53:08 -0700

>>>Survival of the fittest rules this world -- ORACLE had an
>>>edge over the systems it replaced it wasn't a fad (fads are
>>>short term).

...ahhhh, but remember in the late 80s and throughout most of the 90s, Oracle was basically saying "Hey, we don't care what hardware, Unix distro or Application you use", run it on Oracle. That is
why Oracle on SMPs killed VAR apps on minis. In fact, Oracle ran on a lot of stuff that didn't look at all like Unix.

Does Oracle still espouse that true Open Systems mentality? And, by the way, Open Source software != Open Systems in fact, the Open Source "community" goes well out fo their way to be exclusionary