RE: DATABASE HANGS WITH SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:20:07 -0400

We had multiple hanging problems on 9.2.0.4 RAC running on AIX 5.2. 9.2.0.5 and later 9.2.0.6 were better though we have had a hang or two. I can only remember the details for two of the three separate bugs that we hit and which support identified as the cause of our hung database. The first seems unlikely since you are using one-node RAC. In a RAC environment if too many sessions attempt to log on too concurrently the database can develop a problem trying to access the sequence generator behind v$session.audsid. Just increase the cache size from 20 to 1,000. (Support recommended 10k but that seems a little like overkill)

The second was identified as not being a bug but a deadlock occurred on the rdbms base tables. Oracle is apparently unable to identify this condition like it can for user table access so it does not kill one of the sessions and roll it back automatically. However, you can however see the problem in the hang analyze dump.

We hit at least one other identified bug but I do not remember the details at all.

Next time before issuing any shutdown command run a hang analyze which will give you something to look at. If you cannot spot the problem in the trace then you upload the trace to support to give them something to work with.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --