DATABASE HANGS WITH SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

From: Ahmed Ullah <ahmed107_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

  Hello all:

  We have Oracle 9.2.0.5 database ( single Note RAC ). There were some heavy batch jobs running which cuased the db hang ( only sys connection was working ).

  We tried to bring down the database after cleaning all sessions. It did not go down with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. We had to abort it. I tried to bring down the DB three times with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE it never went down.

  SMON was trying to cleanup the used extents ( Metalink Note – 1076161.6 ) as we could see in the alert log file - Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery.

  SQL> select count(block#) from fet$;

  COUNT(BLOCK#)

             38

  fet$ - free extents

  SQL> select count(block#) from uet$;

  COUNT(BLOCK#)

          52905

  uet$ - used extents

  We can share the alert log and system level 10 trace files if anyone wants. These traces were generated when db hung.

  Appreciate your help.

  Thanks,

  -ahmed

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?" --Albert Einstein