Re: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:11:26 +0100

On 24/04/06, sam roberts <sam112233_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Very non technical question, but I would appreciate people's views on where
> the DBA function should reside.

In general I'd say it depends on the DBA and the organisation. Connor McDonald has a page on his site entitled "Evolution of DBAs" (http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/dba_evolution.htm) which reccommends putting them int he middle of the development team. There does seem to be an assumption there that the company does it's own development and has a development team, but for that environment it's good advice. For other environments it might not be appropriate or even possible.

Where I work I sit in the Infrastructure team because we don't have a development team, most of my work is based in projects helping to implement systems using applications written by external vendors. Any development work (mostly linking new applications to existing application or bespoke functions/reports) I either do myself or provide specs to the vendor for them to do.

Your environment sounds a lot like what Connor is describing so you should probably be sitting in the applications team, convincing management of that might be difficult. Maybe show them Connor's thoughts on the matter?

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/