Re: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:41:12 -0500

Sam,

I think both Stephen and Lee have good points. I would tend to agree that putting the DBA in the development group can produce better coordination with the developers. Gives the DBA better opportunity to attend early design meetings.

    On the other hand, the trend is moving toward companies purchasing most of their software, rather than "rolling their own". In that case, the focus becomes developing a competent infrastructure group with strong standards (development, test, and production environments) and consistent enforcement of these standards. I would argue that in this environment focused on infrastructure, putting the DBA in the infrastructure group might make more sense.

    Then again, the DBA is an artistic soul not easily bound by organizational confines.

Dennis Williams