RE: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:05:05 +0100

When I started at my present company about 5 years ago, we were lumped in with the UNIX/NT admins and the network guys. As of about 3 years ago, we are now in the same unit as the developers and architects etc. Definitely a better fit from my perspective.

Cheers

Lee

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of sam roberts Sent: 24 April 2006 11:50
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

Very non technical question, but I would appreciate people's views on where the DBA function should reside. In our organization we have Infrastructure support and Applications. I personally want to be with Applications as I feel we have much more to contribute, and if locked away in infrastructure we dont get to know about projects until they have been completed. We have a lot of input in Applications from evaluations of solutions, integration to working with developers. We should also be at the forefront with issues such as Datawarehousing/mining etc.. I would appreciate your views and help me make a case to present to my management. By the way we are in Infrastructure at the moment. The DBA role is changing and we need to be more proactive,
thanks

sam

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.