copying tables to another db, oracle 9.2

From: Tricia McKellar <tkm.lists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:26:48 -0500

Hello,

I'm new to oracle dba responsibilities and in need of some direction. I need to implement a process and I'm not sure which technologies and/or processes I should investigate.

Our application produces a set of reporting views in the production database (solaris, oracle 9.2). My managers and others are anxious to run reports on the data; I've created a report user and throttled resources for this user, but my goal is to restrict all non-application access to the production database. I would like to automate the copy the reporting data to a dedicated report database on another host, preferably daily.

Can you give me some direction on the technologies/processes to copy these tables to another database I might investigate? We cannot shutdown the production database daily. We do use rman to disk, but do not have rman set up with a media manager yet. One of my books mentions "transportable tablespaces"--should I read up on that? Should I do some homework on export/import? One of the reporting views could contain millions of rows, but the other dozen or so tables are comparatively small (thousands of rows).

Thank you for any guidance!

--Tricia

Tricia McKellar
Operations & Systems Analyst