RE: copying tables to another db, oracle 9.2

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:03:03 -0700

Look at materialized views, or streams.

--

Ron Reidy
Lead DBA
Array BioPharma, inc.

-----Original Message-----

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tricia McKellar Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:27 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: copying tables to another db, oracle 9.2

Hello,

I'm new to oracle dba responsibilities and in need of some direction. I need to implement a process and I'm not sure which technologies and/or processes I should investigate.

Our application produces a set of reporting views in the production database (solaris, oracle 9.2). My managers and others are anxious to run reports on the data; I've created a report user and throttled resources for this user, but my goal is to restrict all non-application access to the production database. I would like to automate the copy the reporting data to a dedicated report database on another host, preferably daily.

Can you give me some direction on the technologies/processes to copy these tables to another database I might investigate? We cannot shutdown the production database daily. We do use rman to disk, but do not have rman set up with a media manager yet. One of my books mentions "transportable tablespaces"--should I read up on that? Should I do some homework on export/import? One of the reporting views could contain millions of rows, but the other dozen or so tables are comparatively small (thousands of rows).

Thank you for any guidance!

--Tricia

Tricia McKellar
Operations & Systems Analyst
NC State University

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it from your system.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Mar 20 2006 - 21:03:03 CST