Re: copying tables to another db, oracle 9.2

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:20:11 -0500

We have an 8.1.7 DSS database and a 9.2.0.7 adhoc/reporting/csv feed database which is based on the 8.1.7 database. We use a combination of exp/imp,materialized views and the application itself to update the data. The breakdown is generally like this.

  1. exp/imp - big tables ie > 4Gb that can be loaded over night.
  2. mat views - smaller tables that can either be lumped together and refreshed all at once or tables that a user can manually refresh when required.
  3. application - we'll add an insert into the adhoc database across the database link from the application on the dss side. This is for data that needs to be in reporting as soon as finished on the dss. It's at the end of the code so it doesn't impact the main processing.

Mike