Re[2]: new oracle software

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:02:50 -0500

JS> It will be quite a feat if it can unseat sqlplus, as I've grown
JS> quite accustomed to it over the years.  Using several X-windows,
JS> vi and sqlplus, I can work pretty quickly.

Me too. I often have an editor window open with various scraps of SQL that I paste into SQL*Plus while I work. It's a great way to develop queries, as I can leave a breadcrumb trail of all my intermediate steps.

(Raptor allows the same thing, so long as I remember to press ctrl-ENTER and not F5)

Wednesday, February 8, 2006, 4:21:26 PM, Jared Still (jkstill_at_gmail.com) wrote:

JS> I plan to attempt to use it as much as possible where I would
JS> normally use sqlplus.  This is just to see what the tool is capable
JS> of, where it's weaknesses are, etc.

After writing an article on Raptor, I found myself just using it, on an ongoing basis, for experiments, to execute queries for my next book, etc. That's a good acid test. When you find yourself "just using" a tool, it's a good sign that it works well.

Raptor is not perfect, but I've found it to be quite a "comfortable" working environment.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com