Centralized names resolution

From: Michael Ray <topshot.rhit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:14:42 -0500

I suggested to my client we switch to a centralized naming solution when we do the upgrade to 10g since we have to touch all the current clients anyway. However, I see Oracle no longer supports Names Servers so it appears the 2 options now are a single tnsnames.ora file or Oracle Internet Directory (OID). The first option is by far simpler, but is there a way to have redundancy if the network path to the file happens to be down? In other words, can you point the clients to 2 identical tnsnames files on the network? If not, I suppose we could put the file on the Oracle server itself and deal with a Windows share or something like that.

Is there any benefit to using OID instead? Note this isn't for some enterprise-wide solution. While they do have plants all over the world, it's very rare that they share database info. I'm only dealing with one plant though it would be nice if are solution could be easily used by others. It seems like a real pain to setup OID since you have to dig it out of Application Server now. Why did they do that?

Shalom,
Michael Ray