Re: RE: stdby and Oracle licensing

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:33:26 -0700

Carel-Jan,

   That is a very good post. I would like to mention one thing though -- when negotiating "special" licensing arrangements (e.g., standby database servers at 10% of the normal cost), it is probably not good enough to "have it in writing, signed by an authorised sales rep.", although that *might* be good enough to satisfy a license audit.

   To be truly safe, your "special" licensing arrangements must be executed as a formal ammendment to the OLSA, and need to be signed by an authorised officer of Oracle Corp. (I.e., somebody authorised to offer/accept contracts on the part of Oracle Corp.) In my mind, that probably means a V.P. or better...

   Without formally "ammending" the OLSA, the "Entire Agreement" clause makes any other documents you might have (even if signed in blood) null and void. Of course, that doesn't mean that Oracle might not *choose* to honour them, just that they're not *compelled* to. ;-)

   I know, that's sort of "splitting hairs", but if you're gonna do it, you ought to do it right...