RE: Q: Filesystem choice for log_archive_dest

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:34:48 -0700

>Just trying to estimate the speed of writing from Oracle
>instance to different filesystems.
>
>1. select * from table with 108127 records,

 I'm afraid you've got me confused. You are selecting all the rows from a little table to ascertain disk write throughput? This would be a good ettest to compare different network configs, maybe, but is an apples to bicycles comparison with regard to archive log spooling.

 Of course a SELECT * from a small table cached in the OS pagecache is going to be exponentially faster than physical disk reads. We need to get beyond that comparison. Memory is indeed faster than magnetic media