Re: Q: Filesystem choice for log_archive_dest

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:52:48 +0200

Hi Kevin,
I'm trying to demonstrate the difference of writing/spooling on direct IO vs cached filesystem(and to understand how exaclty the redo log spooling(huge amount of data, parallel execution) differ compared to the small data spooling (and I got the answer from Carel-Jan for that). It's obvious that as long as the filesystem/SAN controller's cache size and efficiency is able to hold/flush the amount of data before the cache gets full and the new data arrives, it will be beneficial to put the log archive destination on buffered file system (think about 6x10 to 32Mb online redo logs for small OLTP instance)

> ettest to compare different network configs, maybe

Why network config? SQLNet messages "from client" in this case is the OK for successful "write" operations(the sqlplus client is running on the database server host).

> Of course a SELECT * from a small table cached
> in the OS pagecache is going to be exponentially
> faster than physical disk reads.

It's about "writes", not about "reads".

Cheers
Dimitre