Re: OT moment of doubt

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:47:32 +0000

I get nervous when I drop a table in development... Typically you don't get a database development environment and any mistake a member of the database team makes impacts the rest of the team(java, .net, whatever). So you drop the wrong table in development and you can stop development for a while. I was on a project where we didn't have a development environment. I wrote code against a database with 30,000 users(every employee at a large US bank) during regular business hours. The code I was writing was k-shell code to drop a tablespace and then 'rm' the corresponding datafile.

Also, the database was hosted at the client and we developed it remotely. Our company did not have the 'oracle' password, so the client was DBA was managing backup and recovery. So if I screwed up we would have to call the client and ask them to fix it.

I asked my boss for a development environment and he said 'It's ok to code against production as long as you don't make a mistake'.