Re: OT moment of doubt

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:43:34 -0700

I neglected to give it a name, as requested. I'm really not sure what to call it.

But when I do something like that, there is at times a brief feeling of anxiety that I've screwed it up, regardless of how much testing I've done.

If I am *sure* I've screwed it up, the anxiety is followed by a head to toe tingling, and involuntary contraction of several muscles best not discussed here.

Jared

On 6/15/05, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Every time I do it.
>
> When using a command like that, I usually check
> it with ls first, then modify the command.
>
> eg.
>
> ls -l *.dbf
>
> If that gets the expected results, I will then call up
> the command line history and replace the 'ls -l'
> with 'rm -f'.
>
> This not only ensures the results are what I expect,
> but avoids fat fingering that occur if the entire command
> is retyped:
>
> eg. rm -f * .dbf
>
> Notice the space between * and .dbf.
>
> Jared
>

> On 6/15/05, Joe <nigel.tufnel1_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What would you call that moment in time after you do "rm *.dbf" on all
> > your database files, where you suddenly panic about whther you're on
> > the right server or not?
> >
> > This happens to me all the time, even after checking, even after 17
> > yrs of DBA-ing. Kinda like that feeling you get when your chair starts
> > to tip over backwards but you catch yourself.
> >
> > :P
> >
> > Joe
> > --

> Jared Still