RE: backup up archivelogs

From: Khemmanivanh, Somckit <somckit.khemmanivanh_at_weyerhaeuser.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:16:31 -0700

Speaking of which....

We actually backup our archivelogs "on demand" to our DR site. On demand means as soon are the log is fully archived to the archive directory. We do this by reading the alert log, this tells us when the logfile has been archived. We then identify the file and back it up to tape at the DR site (the script also verifies the backup to tape was successful).=20

This give us instant up to date logs at the DR site without the need for any remote mirroring technology.

If we so chose to, we also schedule routine archivelog switches to minimize the exposure window...

Thanks!=20

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ron Rogers Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:42 AM
To: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com; rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us Subject: RE: backup up archivelogs

Paula,
 That is a valid concern if you loose the archive log destination. How = =3D
=3D3D
about setting up another destination on a different server or nfs mounted =3D3D
point.=3D3D20
Ron

>>> <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us> 05/17/05 9:01 AM >>>
We have redo members mirrored on multiple file systems. We write the redos to an archive log. We backup the database in full along with archivelogs each night.

The problem is that if the entire box goes down or we loose the RAID for archives we would only be able to restore/recover to the previous night.

I am considering backing up archivelogs to tape immediately as they are filled up. =3D3D3D20

Anyone doing this and their thoughts on gotchas/caveats/best practices?

Thanks,
Paula