Re: After Dataguard failover not able to make switchover back

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:16:29 +0200

Hi Peter,
Sorry for not getting back on this earlier. I had to assist a customer yesterday evening.

When a standby will not switchover to primary, several reasons can lead to this.

First: did you create the standby controlfile from the primary _after_ you made the backup of the database? Otherwise it might not become a proper standby.

Second: Did you verify that the standby catched up with the primary? E.g. did you check that the logfiles were applied? (check the applied column in v$archived_log)

Third: Did you commit to switchover to standby the primary first? The primary needs to be switched first, before the standby can switchover. Otherwise it is a failover again.

You are using the ..file_name_convert parameters. Why is that? Are both databases on the same server? That is not much High Availability. And, if not, I recommend to keep your systems as symmetric as possible, for robustness. Otherwise the server you have to deal with all of a sudden is a differente environment after a failover. That makes the situation even more error-prone, when the system is more vulnerable. After the failover you don't have your standby to protect you, unless you had two of them.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===