After Dataguard failover not able to make switchover back

From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_pameacs.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:32:39 +1000

Hi all DG gurus

I have run some tests of dataguard and in the it all something has happened of which I am a little lost.

After a number of configuration errors in the two databases I had the system making switchovers successfully. Then the client insisted that we do a fail over test. the failover went smoothly and all appeared well. No for the fun part I rebuilt the old primary as a standby to the new primary and have now had 4 attempts to successfully switchover none of which have worked.

I have a problem that the switchover fails because the standby says there is incomplete recovery and as such cannot continue. I think i may have stuffed this one and may have to export the data and rebuild a new clean primary but if anyone has any ideas as to how to recover I would appreciate it

This is some of the alert log and it points to a file 1_0.dbf in the archivelogs directory

Whatever this file is supposed to do is killing me when I try and do a switchover as the standby then complains about incomplete recovery and fails to make the switch from standby to primary.

ARC0: Completed archiving log 4 thread 1 sequence 47836 Sat May 14 11:36:12 2005
End: All standby logfiles have been archived Resetting standby activation ID 4238571451 (0xfca377bb) MRP0: Background Media Recovery process shutdown Sat May 14 11:36:13 2005
Terminal Incomplete Recovery: completion detected Completed: ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FI Sat May 14 11:36:13 2005
ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY WAIT WITH SESSION SHUTDOWN ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY RESETLOGS after incomplete recovery UNTIL CHANGE 58368209 Resetting resetlogs activation ID 0 (0x0) Changing control file format version from 8.0.0.0.0 to 9.0.0.0.0 RESETLOGS changing datafile format version from 9.0.0.0.0 to 8.0.0.0.0 Switchover: Complete - Database shutdown required Completed: ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY WAI Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
Shutting down instance: further logons disabled Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 5
Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
alter database CLOSE NORMAL
ORA-1507 signalled during: alter database CLOSE NORMAL... ARCH: Archiving is disabled
Shutting down archive processes
Archiving is disabled
Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
ARCH shutting down
Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
ARCH shutting down
Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
ARC0: Archival stopped
Sat May 14 11:36:14 2005
ARC1: Archival stopped
Sat May 14 11:36:17 2005
ARCH: Archiving is disabled
Shutting down archive processes
Archiving is disabled
Archive process shutdown avoided: 0 active Shutting down Data Guard Broker processes Sat May 14 11:36:19 2005
Completed: Data Guard Broker shutdown
Sat May 14 11:36:21 2005
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
 Disable cache advisory with old cache parameters LICENSE_MAX_SESSION = 0
LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING = 0
SCN scheme 3
Using log_archive_dest parameter default value LICENSE_MAX_USERS = 0
SYS auditing is disabled
Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5.0. System parameters with non-default values:

  processes                = 50
  timed_statistics         = FALSE
  shared_pool_size         = 20971520
  nls_language             = AMERICAN
  nls_territory            = AMERICA
  nls_comp                 = ansi
  control_files            = /data3/ellipse/elldrc/standby_1.ctl
  db_file_name_convert     = /data1/ellipse/ellprd/, /data3/ellipse/elldrc/
  log_file_name_convert    = /data1/ellipse/ellprd/, /data3/ellipse/elldrc
  db_block_buffers         = 1250
  db_block_size            = 8192
  compatible               = 9.2.0.5
  log_archive_start        = TRUE
  log_archive_dest_1       = LOCATION=/data4/ellipse/elldrc/archivelogs
MANDATOR
  log_archive_dest_2       =
  log_archive_dest_3       =
  log_archive_dest_4       =
  log_archive_dest_5       =
  log_archive_dest_6       =
  log_archive_dest_7       =
  log_archive_dest_8       =
  log_archive_dest_9       =
  log_archive_dest_10      =
  log_archive_dest_state_2 = ENABLE
  log_archive_max_processes= 2
  log_archive_min_succeed_dest= 1
  standby_archive_dest     = /data4/oracle/standby_log
  log_archive_trace        = 0
  fal_server               = ellprd
  fal_client               = elldrc
  log_archive_format       = %t_%s.dbf
  log_buffer               = 65536
  log_checkpoint_interval  = 10000
  archive_lag_target       = 0
  db_files                 = 200

  db_file_multiblock_read_count= 8
  standby_file_management  = AUTO
  log_checkpoints_to_alert = TRUE
  dml_locks                = 500
  rollback_segments        = r01, r02, r03, r04
  remote_os_authent        = TRUE
  remote_login_passwordfile= EXCLUSIVE
  instance_name            = elldrc
  background_dump_dest     = /var/opt/oracle/elldrc/bdump
  user_dump_dest           = /var/opt/oracle/elldrc/udump
  max_dump_file_size       = 10240
  core_dump_dest           = /var/opt/oracle/elldrc/cdump
  db_name                  = ellprd
  open_cursors             = 1000
  os_authent_prefix        = OPS$
  dg_broker_start          = TRUE
PMON started with pid=2
DBW0 started with pid=3
LGWR started with pid=4
CKPT started with pid=5

SMON started with pid=6
RECO started with pid=7
Sat May 14 11:36:22 2005
ARCH: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES
ARC0 started with pid=8
ARC0: Archival started
ARC1 started with pid=9
ARC1: Archival started
Sat May 14 11:36:22 2005
ARCH: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES COMPLETE
Sat May 14 11:36:22 2005
ARC1: Thread not mounted
Sat May 14 11:36:22 2005
ARC0: Thread not mounted
DMON started with pid=10
Starting Data Guard Broker (DMON)
RSM0 started with pid=12
Sat May 14 11:36:29 2005
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
Sat May 14 11:36:33 2005
Successful mount of redo thread 1, with mount id 4238817981 Sat May 14 11:36:33 2005
Database mounted in Exclusive Mode.
Completed: ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
Sat May 14 11:36:33 2005
ALTER DATABASE OPEN
Sat May 14 11:36:33 2005
LGWR: Primary database is in CLUSTER CONSISTENT mode Assigning activation ID 4238817981 (0xfca73abd) Thread 1 opened at log sequence 47837
  Current log# 3 seq# 47837 mem# 0: /data3/ellipse/elldrclog3a_ellprd.log Successful open of redo thread 1

Oracle 9.2.0.5
AIX 5.2 Cheers

Peter