Re: backup up archivelogs

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:36:49 +0100

On 5/17/05, Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us> w= rote:
> We have redo members mirrored on multiple file systems. We write the
> redos to an archive log. We backup the database in full along with
> archivelogs each night.

>=20

> The problem is that if the entire box goes down or we loose the RAID for
> archives we would only be able to restore/recover to the previous night.

Why not set two archive destinations, on different raid arrays? That way you'd have to lose both arrays to lose your current day's set of archived logs. That should be very unlikely unless there's some underlying problem or something very serious happens (e.g. server farm catches fire and fire suppression system fails to deploy) which would probably trash your tape drive as well.

If you can, split your databases between two servers at different locations each one mounting a volume on the other and using that as it's second archive log destination.

I guess it depends on how much money you can squeeze out of management for equipment and how important your databases are to business continuity. They're usually pretty vital, I read some stats a while ago about how much downtime a business can handle on it's core systems. It's scary. For many companies a half day outage at the wrong time can kill the company stone dead. For some companies a half hour total outage at the wrong time can kill everyone within 100 miles.

Stephen

--=20