Re: Oracle alternatives

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 01:13:10 -0400

Hi,

On 5/4/05, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com> wrote:
> Greg,

>=20

> Not a bad choice. There's also the "Linux Database Bible" from
> www.hungryminds.com which got me started. The PostGreSql software is
> available, for free, from www.postgresql.org along with the mega page
> documentation in pdf format. And if your into supporting multiple
> databases you might find WinSql form
> http://www.synametrics.com/SynametricsWebApp/WinSQL.jsp very useful. I
> do.

>=20
  1. There is an article on Postgres replication in the current issue (June 2005) of Linux Journal, "Database Replication with Slony-l", and I wonder if you could comment? PS: I mean technically, not about a product that sounds like slow-ny. ;-)

The article seems a little bloated, in my limited knowledge, but I've not used Postgres yet.

2) Another article in the same mag, "ATA over Ethernet", e.g. AoE spec, using Coraid EtherDrive shelf looks interesting too. I'd like to test a couple node 10g RAC database with the EtherDrive evaluation kit (single ATA drive on AoE) instead of firewire, etc. AoE works with a cluster filesystem but not with software RAID in a cluster. These guys do have a RAIDblade to avoid software RAID. Whatever, its interesting to me. :-)
http://www.coraid.com/products.htm
http://www.coraid.com/purchase.htm

Regards,

Mike Thomas