Re: mysql

From: Mike Rothouse <mrothouse_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:28:38 -0500

I certainly agree that it depends on the application. We use at least two open source applications (OTRS and AssetMan) which use a MySQL 3.23.x (ancient version) database. There is not much administration necessary for these applications other than initial setup (creating tables and users, backups, etc.) and creating summary tables for reporting purposes. Certainly specific features (stored procs, views) available in other RDBMS would have made creation of the summary tables more convenient. I believe MySQL 5.0 adds stored procs, views, and triggers, all of which have been available for some time in PostgreSQL.

I would suggest Joan understand current and future needs required of the application before turning and running.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:59:04 -0500, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Of course I can. I did say that it was personal & biased,
> didn't I? Basically my experience with MySql have proven to me that
> it's a toy. Great for developing something quick & without a lot of
> fuss, but no good for any real application. If you want to use an open
> source database system, use PostGreSql. You'll find yourself a lot more
> at home.

<snip>