RE: LDAP

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:23:54 -0500

Ken

I am using Oracle's Ldap as a replacement for Tnsnames. Works fine. We have three Ldap servers running on various machines (IBM AIX, SUN OS). We have never had a problem. And it is "easy" to manage. I say "easy" because the interface to set up the first entry really sucks. But once the first one is set up, creating a new one is less painful - but still goofy.

An Ldap entry consists of four parts - a parent and three layers of children. Each child entry is dependent on the parent.

There is a "create like" option to create a new entry based on an existing one. But this "create like" does not copy all of the child entries - just the parent. So you have to do this four times. Really stupid.

So the product works just fine, but managing it is one of those things where you must experience the pain. Luckily, it does not need changes very often.

Good Luck

Tom