Re: Logical standby transaction_consistency parameter to none

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:16:46 -0800

Birkir Bjornsson wrote:
> =
>
> Im running a logical standby DB and I was wondering what= happends if I set
> transaction_consisstency parameter to none. The logical standby is behind by
> almost 8 days and I need to speed things up. All the tables have indexes so
> that&#8217;s not the problem I guess. But is it okei= to set the
> transaction_consisstency to none and try to get them in sync. Or wi= ll it
> mess up the standby database?
>
> Thanks Birkir

Version?

There is a white paper on Metalink "9i SQL Apply Best Practices" which documents a moderate speed-up by setting transaction_consistency to NONE. Beware of trying to monitor the apply progress as user SYSTEM or SYS in this case, you won't see accurate information. Also, don't let users actually query anything while applying with this setting in effect, as results can be inconsistent.

Depending on your situation, it may be faster to simply re-instantiate your logical standby (if you can afford the brief outage of your primary to do so). If you are using this strictly for disaster recovery, a physical standby would be a better choice, and recovering 8 days worth of archived redo would probably go much faster too.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com