Re: RMAN catalog standard edition

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:26:17 -0500

Imagine if you're Pete or Graham, and you present all sorts of neat/useful/gee-whiz features that are available in 10g, and half of the questions are licensing related.

Even when they preface the presentation with "we can't answer licensing questions during this presentation" ... a good portion of the questions are ... licensing related.

Instead of thinking ... "wow - these are really useful and will make my job easier", Oracle marketing is attempting the tack of ... lets see if we can get the DBAs to get these options purchased. I wonder how that is working out for them.

When you don't even know what is legal to hit, even from sqlplus, administration is not streamlined or simplified ... its more complicated.

This sounds worthy of a revoke script for public synonyms and grants for the Active Session History Objects and anything else that is not covered in the "standard" license.

Paul