Re: Alert Log file.

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:39:17 +0000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:52:30 +0300, Vinod Gopinath BMMI IS <vinodg_at_bmmi.com.bh> wrote:

> Oracle 8.2 on Win2K
> There is no entry happening on alert log file for past 2 days. This is
> an retial system, so lot of transaction happenes daily.

Nearly forgot. Check the size of your alert log, Windows has a maximum size for files. It's unlikely that you'd hit that but it's possible. It's a good idea to periodically archive off your alert log. I've got some scripts (UNIX only I'm afraid) that handle that for me. Move and recreate the file then compress the old file. Copies over a few months old are deleted (first backup of the month is stored indefinately and it's very rare that we need to go back more than a few weeks anyway). They also check for ORA- messages so generally catch a lot of the errors that might occur but not show up before they become more serious.

Stephen