Re: When one can call oneself expert

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:05:02 +0000

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:47 -0400, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi, this is a conceptual question, if you can please
>
> I want to expose a course about 10g new features, and I was thinking when I
> could say
> Juan Carlos Reyes ORACLE EXPERT (I'm not going to say that still)

I don't think that *you* ever can. Folk, especially in the Oracle world, will likely ignore the self-proclaimed experts and gurus and concentrate on judging people by their contributions. It is noticeable that sites like Jonathan's and Steve's (to be invidious and name but 2) contain evidence of their quality of work in addition to their opinions on various matters. Take a look at the sites of other generally recognized experts and it would seem to me at least that this is a pattern. Marketing is useful, but there is no substitute for knowing your stuff .

Its also fairly unlikely that anyone, other than someone with a wide ranging consulting career behind them, will be an "Oracle" expert, since the idiosyncracies and features of the product get used in different ways in different places. (and break in different ways in different places). What is within everyones grasp it seems to me is to determine what features Oracle has (and how they do and don't work) that offer real business benefit to the organisations for whom they work.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA