Re: What not to do in a standby environment ?

From: Scott Dial <smd_at_triquetra.homelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:36:44 -0500

A few things I might add:

Don't take your database out of archivelog mode (obviously). You'll have to start planning out your upgrades when you move into higher releases a lot more carefully.

We have automated the creation of datafiles, so when one is created on the primary servers, the log eventually gets sent to the standby server. When the db apply process runs and figures out a file is missing, it automatically stops and adds the file, then restarts. Just make sure your unix admins are onboard, because when they add space to local servers they'll need to make sure they're doing the same at your DR site.

If you use EMC, they have some tools (SRDF) that can be used to completely avoid the use of Oracle's DR (Disaster Recovery) products in favor of shipping every changed block to the DR site.

http://www.emc.com/products/networking/srdf.jsp

smd

+++ Prem Khanna J [07/12/04 10:40 -0000]: