ArchiveLogs on NetApps ?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:18:08 +0800

We've just begun our first NetApps [9iRAC on Linux] implementation.

What I've found in testing so far is

  1. Writing ArchiveLogs to a NetApps Filer volume seems to be very slow [5min for a 100MB logfile against 30seconds on local disks] Do the ArchiveLog Dest volumes have to be mounted with the same NFS options as the Database Files volumes ?
  2. Testing recoveries using SNAP CREATE and SNAP RESTORE we find that we frequently encounter a corrupt block in the last ArchiveLog being written to the ArchiveLog Dest volume. Any ideas why ?

Backup :

     BEGIN BACKUP
      Snap Create Database Files Volume
    END BACKUP ;;  ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT a few times
      Snap Create ArchiveLog Files Volume

Recovery :
      Snap Restore Database Files Volume
      Snap Restore ArchiveLog Files Volume
     RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital