rman: re-create control file wo/ losing backup metadata

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:32:08 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

I have to admit I thought that this is not possible and it works only one way, meaning backup metadata can find its way into the catalog upon "register database" or "resync catalog", but not the other way around (from the catalog to a control file)

Case#12 in Robert Freeman's book however describes exactly that. The problem though is that I am unable to reproduce it. Here are the steps:

1. Connect to rman using CF and perform a backup
2. Create a temp catalog, register (full resync)
3. Backup CF to ascii, shutdown, startup nomount,
re-create CF w/ changed attribute (in my case number of datafiles)
4. Open a database (no resetlogs/noreselogs required as there is no recovery)
5. Reconnect to the catalog, full resync --> at this step CF supposedly gets populated w/ the backup metadata because "When the catalog recognizes the db_name and dbid of the target, it will check its own records and compare them to the target database CF. When it finds no records in the CF, it will update them."

For some reason step 5 doesn't work for me (checked via rman interface and CF dump level 10). What am I missing?

Thanks,
Boris Dali.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail