Re: Oracle experts are disgusted with SQL Server User Group

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:16:18 +0000

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:50:17 -0500, Aragon, Gabriel (GE Commercial Finance) <gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com> wrote:
> I'm not very sure about the legal stuff, but I agree about the moral and =
> ethical issue, someone that is making money from other's effort should =
> at least notify and ask permission from the author, and is still worse =
> when he claims that Tom is "our technologist".=20
>
> BTW, how could someone get the MVP award doing things like this?

So as I write (Dec 4 04) the facts that I see are these.

  1. Don published an article headlined ' Oracle experts are disgusted with SQL Server User Group'. This was based on a Google search returning precisely 4 hits. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=fetching+storing+ORA-01002+) The first hit was the ask tom article (hence 'our technologist' we all read ask tom and Oracle Mag right?)
  2. The second and third hits were from sswug, pretty much the same. The precis that Google gives pretty much shows that they at least extensively quote the first link.
  3. The last hit is some PHP stuff.
  4. The article doesn't actually exist on the website right now.

So I'd read fact 3 as irrelevant, and fact 2 and 3 as hits that didn't need visiting. In fact I'm somewhat surprised that the article based on the above facts also reads after quoting various folk whom I respect

"I've got a call in to my attorney to investigate the legality of "link selling" but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this practice falls within the realm of U.S. consumer fraud laws. "

Jolly generous indeed really calling his attorney on behalf of asktom.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

oops forgot one more fact

" http://www.google.com/search?as_q=don+burleson&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=sswug.org&safe=off"

returns 427 hits.