Perl and DBI (5.6 and 5.8)

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:45:08 -0000

Using Activestate Perl 5.8 with DBI version 1.45

When I try a DBI connect to Oracle it fails with=20 "install_driver(Oracle) failed; Can't locate DBD/Oracle.pm in @INC

A colleague suggests Oracle started charging for the use of something in = 5.8 and therefore DBI with Oracle has been withdrawn.

I think my options are that I use Activestate 5.6 or get all the = components down from CPAN and build the DBI package myself. Seeing as = how I am almost just starting with Perl that seems a bit excessive and = it is on a PC for my learning purposes only Does all that sound reasonable?

I think I will download 5.6 rather than complicating matters by using = CPAN and trying to compile the package, unless anybody has a better = suggestion

John

=20