Re: Perl and DBI (5.6 and 5.8)

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:03:06 -0800

You can easily build DBI and DBD::Oracle on Windows via Cygwin. It may take a bit of googling for one particular problem that is easily remedied. ( If forget what it is)

Or, you can download 5.8 versions of DBI and DBD::Oracle.

ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/

The issue is not that Oracle started charging for something, but rather an interpretation of the licensing agreement that has yet to be cleared up.

Jared

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:45:08 -0000, Hallas, John, Tech Dev <john.hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk> wrote:
> Using Activestate Perl 5.8 with DBI version 1.45
>
> When I try a DBI connect to Oracle it fails with=20
> "install_driver(Oracle) failed; Can't locate DBD/Oracle.pm in @INC
>
> A colleague suggests Oracle started charging for the use of something in =
> 5.8 and therefore DBI with Oracle has been withdrawn.
>
> I think my options are that I use Activestate 5.6 or get all the =
> components down from CPAN and build the DBI package myself. Seeing as =
> how I am almost just starting with Perl that seems a bit excessive and =
> it is on a PC for my learning purposes only
> Does all that sound reasonable?
>
> I think I will download 5.6 rather than complicating matters by using =
> CPAN and trying to compile the package, unless anybody has a better =
> suggestion
>
> John
>
> =20

Jared Still