Re: OT: Posts from Gmail accounts

From: Janus Christensen <januschr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:29:48 +0200

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:15:33 -0700, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the OT, but it is relevant to this list and gmail.
>
> Every post to this list from a gmail account comes with the
> warning "This message may not be from the person it claims
> to be from. Do not click any links, etc", or something to
> that effect.
>
> Is happening to other gmail users on this list?

Yep. I am seeing it too. It is not a message inserted by the listserv; if you look at the source of the message (headers and all) you will see that the warning is not part of the email.

It is just Gmail warning Gmail users of the evil intentions of other Gmail users. ,-)

> I have reported it to support at Gmail, but nothing has
> come of it yet.

I find it recommendable that Google attempts to implement some sort of phising counter measures into Gmail, but basing the phising warnings on only the fact that the senders email address is from a specific domain -- rather than the content, is just plain ridicilous.

> Personally, I do find it rather ironic and humorous. :)

Ditto.

--
Janus Christensen