Re: Is RAC really HA on Linux

From: Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:28:48 -0400

most of our unplanned outages are related to either network or SAN related (ie HBA's not correctly virtualizing the LUNS from the SAN). RAC would have helped with some of these.
most of our planned outages are related to OS upgrades & patches, Planned network segment outages, SAN Switch maintenance etc. RAC would also help with most of these. We will often failover our critical oracle apps using standard physical standby.

the other major planned outage cause is oracle upgrades/patches - RAC would NOT help with these (maybe in the future???)

are many folks out there actually using RAC in a demanding prod environment?

steve

Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> 09/13/2004 02:35 PM
Please respond to Niall Litchfield

        To:     Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
        cc:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        Subject:        Re: Is RAC really HA on Linux

Well I received a quote off-list suggesting that there was a point of view that

"Instance Failures account for a huge majority of the outages"

If you share this viewpoint, which I don't, then RAC/OPS might count as an HA solution.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA