Is RAC really HA on Linux

From: Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:11:41 -0400

i hope i addressed this right - its my first post. i am looking at RAC to provide an HA environment on Linux (most likely Redhat AS3)

assuming we dont want to use raw file system, are my only options OCFS or OCFS with ASM (my understanding is that even with ASM we still need OCFS for the CRS part).

what about Redhat's GFS? - is that certified for RAC? i've tried to find info on this at metalink but they refer to something called 'Oracle OSD Clusterware' - whatever that is.

i'm also VERY concerned about true HA. Can we have one linux machine down in the cluster so that we can upgrade all or any of the moving parts (ie ASM; OCFS; CRS; RAC; Linux etc) - or do they all need to be at the same version for the cluster to operate?

or for improved HA (ie less upgrades) are we safer going with raw?

i'm going to pose these same questions in a tar to oracle, but thought i'd ask here first

thanks in advance,

steve