Re: Is RAC really HA on Linux

From: Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:38:47 -0400

paul,
good points.

we are a hospital & somes apps are so mission critical that patient care is compromised for every minute of downtime we incur.

we are extensively using data guard right now. we have also achieved zero data loss on the san (against a SINGLE point of failure) by using a combination of dataguard and triplexing our active redos on two stroage controllers (in different locations) and on local unix storage. We are almost certain that we will always be able to obtain at least one copy of the active redo if any part of the system goes belly-up (hence zero dataloss once applied to our physical standby).

We have tested our failover scripts many times and generally takes us about 15 mins to actaully failover anyone of our oracle servers (with zero data loss). Much of the time in the outage that the customer sees is getting support to execute the failover & restart application servers etc. The real outage ends up being about 1.5 hours once everything is fully functional. This is especially true if the outage occurs outside of prime time.

thanks,

steve

Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
09/13/2004 02:59 PM
Please respond to bdbafh

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Is RAC really HA on Linux

Steve,

methinks that the base10 log of cost of |zero data loss| > 6. that would likely include synchronous copying of redo logs to a remote site that blocks commits until applied at the remote site. big, fast, redundant pipe(s) required.
duplexed local storage.
dual (multi) paths for all SAN, ethernet. Redundant system for testing OS patches, Oracle patchses, configuration changes.

I would seriously recommend not using the term "zero data loss" unless that is what is being specified as the objective to you, which it will likely no longer be after they see the price tag. "minimal data loss" is much more fuzzy and obtainable.

Pd