Re: how can I best quantify my level of disgust? (oracle alert #68)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:14:00 -0400

On 09/02/2004 08:50:27 PM, Paul Drake wrote:
> Mladen,
>
> Respected professionals do not publish exploit code prior to the
> patches being widely deployed.

I apologize. I shouldn't have done it. I was intrigued by sudden urgency and I decided to investigate. I must say that I didn't expect it to be so easy. Yes, you are right, I shouldn't have posted the exploit code. I didn't think much about it because there aren't many 10g databases in production, and the only affected release is 10.1.0.2. Also, the whole thing looked so trivial to me, and I knew that many other guys on this group would be able to figure it out, you among other people. I could list you at least 10 people from this group that could probably do it even faster then me, so the secrecy didn't seem very important. I will not post the exploit on comp.databases.oracle or anywhere else for that matter. Once again, I didn't want to make life harder for anyone and I apologize if I did.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA