Re: raid 5 disaster

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

My rule for documenting procedures is that it has to be clear enough for either my mother or father to be able to follow the instructions WITHOUT my being there to guide them.

Leads to some VERY detailed, very simplistic instructions but no data center I have ever worked with has complained.

IMHO, you should not have to guide the backup admin through your procedures. He is, after all, your backup. What happens if you win the lottery and decide to quit? Or to be a bit more morbid (as one of my ex-bosses used to say about me) what happens if you are hit by a bus?

One thing I learned from the 9/11 disaster is that recovery procedures should NOT assume knowledge is available. One friend (consultant) had to help a company rebuild their databases from backups from scratch. Every DBA had been lost in the Towers. Fortunately, he had helped them build the systems. Unfortunately, the documentation wasn't thorough.

This is one of my pet peeves, so excuse the rant, it's not directed at anyone in particular. But we all tend to assume that documentation is the LAST thing we should do, rather than the first. And we don't keep it up to date. This is the pot calling the kettle black, I'm guilty of it myself. But I do try.

Rachel